Starting in February 2016 I was brave again. I decided to teach three pre-teens to quilt a wall hanging (they had learned to sew with me the previous year). It was decided that the parents would have to stay and help.
Since I had to clear out my mom’s house last year and found a lot of presents that were given to her (some even by me) which were never used and stored in unusual places (i.e. kitchen tools in a bedroom drawer) I wanted the kids to make something they would want (or could give away).
So, the first meeting the kids graphed out what they wanted their wall hanging to look like. Some of the ideas we came up with were:
use Clip Art off the internet (or from coloring books) to trace
use Fabric Markers to paint their design
use one mom’s cutting machine to cut out designs
free hand draw their ideas
I am happy to say that they all turned out great and everyone liked creating them so much they would like to do another quilting project in the future. Here are the photos of their wall hangings. (And I didn’t feel right posting the last name of one of the girls so I covered it up.)
All the wall hangings were shown in the local quilt show this summer even.
This post was in the pending pile due to not having the photo available. Well, it is being posted now without the photo.
In the Fall of 2014 I decided to be brave. I am taught a section with six kids (9-12 years old) to sew. We decided that everyone would be working on the same project and that the parents were required to stay and help (even if they didn’t know how to sew).
We held the Fall session in October.
The first night was crazy! We had machine issues along with learning how to keep your fingers out of the way of the needle, how to stitch on a line, etc. By the end of the night each kid had made their own 4-H tie (even cut to their own length). The smiles at the end made the crazy night worth it (I wish I was wearing my pedometer since I know I didn’t stay in one spot the whole time).
The second session they made a two color pillowcase. I decided to be fair and let them each pick a piece of paper which told them what order they would pick out their pillowcase ‘kit’. Everyone was really happy with the pillowcase they made at the end.
The third session they made a Scrappy Pillow. A friend (that quilts) had given me a bunch of rectangles that she didn’t need. So, I cut some more of different materials so the kids had plenty to choose from. By this time the kids were feeling more comfortable with sewing so they could make some different choices – some used eleven pieces, some used eight pieces and I think one used nine pieces. All of them turned out very random and no two turned out the same. The kids even learned how to stuff the pillow and sew the opening closed.
The fourth session was held to finish the pillows, take photos, help with the portfolio paperwork and give out a participation ribbon. (Sorry I can’t find any photos.)
I know from some comments parents had made to me that the kids enjoyed learning to sew and some were sad to have the project end.